Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Equilateral and Isosceles Triangles

Let me start by saying that I will be changing this lesson before I use it again!  I thought I could teach it off the cuff as I have in years past, but I found that I was teaching it differently and better the second time I taught it.**  My INB shows what I taught my first Geometry class of the day.  As I have written 5 blog posts today, I have learned that simply by typing an explanation helps me see things I would like to change, whether it's the name of the activity, directions, overall design, etc.

The good:
-each triangle is folded in half (altitude, twin triangles)
-the terms equilateral and equiangular are broken down (equi means equal, etc.)
-each triangle is glued only on the left side
-formula for side of the 30-60-90 triangle in the equilateral one.
-I questioned the 2nd class about the meaning of altitude and they said height, so I used the example of altitude of a plane being measured straight down (90 degree angle to ground).
-discussed angle bisectors and segment bisectors

The bad:
-triangles were too small
-should've use a, 2a and a radical 3, instead of a over 2, a and a radical 3 over 2
-I didn't explain altitude as well during 1st class
-didn't even use the word symmetry



**I believe that teaching is different for each class to some degree.  My teaching is better when I get feedback from my students and that happens more often in the 2nd Geometry class of the day! 

4 comments:

  1. Wow interesting! !!first i was read this article i was amaze,hope many readers you may help.. Goodluck!!

    He found gifts for mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. very informative post for me as I am always looking for new content that can help me and my knowledge grow better.

    Best deals Shoretel Tech Support Chicago

    ReplyDelete